American Pit Bull Terrier is a breed of dog that originates in the United States and in the United Kingdoms. This member of the molasses group is a strongly built, medium-sized and short haired dog. History says that the Pit Bull Terrier breed was initially created by breeding Old English terrier and Old English Bulldogs together to produce the gameness of the terrier along with the strength and agility of bulldog.
Strong temperament of American Pit Bull Terrier Dog
American Pit Bull Terrier Dog is mainly known for its strong temperament. UKC gives the description of the characteristics of this particular breed. Essential characteristics of this dog are its strength, confidence and zest for living. If you want a dog that is friendly and enthusiastic, then this is just the right breed for you. This breed is eager to please you with its sweet actions along with its beaming enthusiasm.
They have a great reputation in making the excellent family association and have always been especially noted for its love for children. Besides being sweet, it also has the natural aggressive characteristics of the dog. It is naturally very agile given its strong, powerful built.
Special Requirement of American Pit Bull Puppies
American Pit Bull puppies has a special requirement. It requires an owner who will socialise and obedience train the dog. Its natural agility makes it one of the most canine climbers. For this reason, a good fencing is a must to keep this dog safe and sound. However, this is not the best choice for a security guard job because of its friendly nature and for which it be friends with strangers as well. If you are going for this breed, then is rest assured that you will never experience any kind of aggressive behaviour towards any sorts of human beings?
Quick overview of American Pit Bull Terrier Dog
After everything, the question remains whether the American Pit Bull Terrier Dog is right for you or not. Let’s look at a quick overview of the characteristics of this breed.
- Low maintenance – This breed comes with a very low maintenance cost. Grooming is only necessary once in a while to maintain the dog in good shape. No trimming or stripping is required for these particular terrier American pit bull terrier breeders.
- Easy training – As mentioned earlier this dog is extremely friendly in nature and is also very famous among children. So you can very well assume that training sessions are going to extremely easy and fun filled. This breed is more inclined to listening to its owners and obeys them as well.
- Low watchdog capability – The friendly nature of this dog has been mentioned again and again. It is equally friendly with strangers as well. So that definitely bars it from being a reliable watchdog.
- Active participant – This breed of dogs requires daily exercise schedules to maintain it in good shape. If you are committed and active as an owner, then you will definitely enjoy these training sessions with your pit bull terrier.
- Low Adaptability – American Pit Bull puppies has a low adaptability problem. You need to have a small to medium sized yard for the perfect living off this breed. It is also capable of handling heat conditions. However, this breed cannot survive in cold climatic conditions. If you do not have previous experience with dog ownership then handling this breed may not be a good choice for you.
- Moderate shedding – Be ready to vacuum regularly because this dog sheds regularly. If you regularly brush it, then shedding can be reduced and make the coat softer and cleaner.
Life Expectancy of American Pit Bull Terrier Dog
American Pit Bull Terrier has a life expectancy of about 8-15 years. This life expectancy is about average for larger breeds. The minimum life expectancy is 8 years for this particular breed. The female terrier weighs about 30-60 pounds and has a height in the range of 17-22 inches. The male breed weighs about 35-65 pounds, and it also possesses almost the same height as its female counterpart. This is a typically large dog which is expected to live for 15 years approximately.
Health of American Pit Bull Terrier
This particular breed is generally very healthy, but just like few another breed, they are also prone to a few health conditions as well. It is better to be aware of the diseases like Allergies common in the form of APBT/Amstaffs and other forms of skin allergies. Heart disease and Hypothyroidism are some other diseases that you should be aware of as an owner. Malfunction of the hip joint ball and socket can often be a dangerous problem as well.
American pit bull terrier breeders are by far one of the friendliest breeds that you will find around. This can probably be the best gift you can gift your children as well.
American Pit Bull Terrier Pictures